There are a number of very good reasons why the services of an independent legal advisor are highly recommended:
- The French Notaire’s duty is to the French State; he has an obligation to ensure that the transaction proceeds in accordance with French law. He is French and the seller is probably French and it is easy to imagine some form of bias.
- We offer independent legal advice and look after your interests, not the seller’s, the Notaire’s or the agent’s. In other words, we are on your side.
- We check all documentation to make sure that everything is in order and we change clauses that we feel are too biased towards the seller or do not reflect your needs.
- We are covered by professional indemnity insurance. Therefore if we advise you wrongly, you have some recourse.
- Our advice is in writing so that you can keep track of that advice and rely on it at any time in the future.
- Even if the Notaire or the agent provides a translation of the contracts, this is not sufficient to protect your position as sometimes certain clauses have not been inserted.
- If the sale is private, it is even more important to have legal representation in order to avoid uncertainty and delay.
- Our reports do not translate the documents but tell you what it all means in language you will understand.
- We hold your hand throughout the whole transaction and provide you with peace of mind.